Friday, October 21, 2011

Try something new every week! - Parts 1-8

I haven't managed to start blogging this yet, but having stopped Home Schooling and with all the kids in high school, I theoretically have a bit more time to myself, and I decided to seize the time to do some of the things I haven't done yet that I'd like to do.  I'm keeping a minibook to record my experiences.

Given that the budget is small and a lot of the things I'd really like to do are expensive and/or far away, I'm keeping it small - mainly local and even as small as trying a new recipe.  I started at the beginning of September and so far I've done the following:

1) Watched a debate in the House of Commons
2) Tried and learned to make Apple and Rosemary Curd
3) Toured the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace
4) Watched a match at The Emirates Stadium
5) Went to the Renegade Craft Fair at Brick Lane, and learned how to felt with a needle and foam block.
6) Visited Windsor Castle
7) Celebrated National Curry Week


This week, I went on the Treetop Walk at Kew Gardens with one of my very good friends. - it couldn't have been a more beautiful day, and I was kicking myself that I forgot my camera as it was a perfect light for photography.  Still, I probably benefited from experiencing it first hand instead of via the lens and I did take a few pictures of the Waterlily House with my (very poor quality) phone camera.



The Treetop Walk is stunning and good fun, except for the fundamental fact that it is made of mesh, a big problem for me.  I'm not scared of heights but I am scared of being able to see down through my feet - eek!  Luckily I was up there before I realised so I had to grit my teeth and do it anyway - and it was fab - as long as I looked at the horizon!

More next week!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Gorgeous photos - I always have to hold my breath a bit and reassure myself that it is perfectly safe up there too - I don't like the circular stopping points as the mesh moves toooooo much for my tummy :)

Jo said...

You've done some really great things Ali, can't wait to see what you do next xx

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of curry week - but I'm like you in that I don't like to see air beneath my feet - so well done on that!

Dawn said...

Fab idea, Think I'll have to do this next year as part of my 365 photos/document 2012!