Sunday, October 21, 2012

Playing with Pastels - CSI #41

For those of you who know me well, you will know that I don't do pastel!  So it was somewhat surprising that when this week's CSI challenge #41 came up, I already had a pale and interesting layout on the go, on which I based my layout this week.

Materials Used: White Bazzill Basics, Patterned Paper - Studio Calico, Basic Grey,Crate Paper; Alphabets - MME and Pink Paislee; Punches - Martha Stewart; Embellishments - Flags - BG Paper Cottage, Flower - Prima, Metal Flowers - from stash, Brads - BG and Making Memories, Veneer Camera - Studio Calico, Lace, Ribbon, Button, Doily and Vellum from Stash.

When I say on the go, I had the hearts which were left over from another project, and had been playing with vellum in an effort to counterfeit the rather lovely vellum feathers currently on the market from Jenni Bowlin.


No messy this week, but its amazing what you find on your desk when you have a colour scheme in mind.  The flags, pp strip, button and flower just sprang to mind as I was musing on how to accomplish this challenge.


The alphabet is one of my favourite ever and seems to have lasted really well in terms of available vowels - Lush from MME - wish I'd bought two!  Layers were the order of the day, so I grabbed some vellum as a base, then ruffled up some strips and put them through a scalloped circle punch to make some texture.  Ronda Palazzari's 'Art of Layers' has a great section on tucking in embellishments that inspired me here.  I added a piece of doily, a banner of patterned paper, a couple of flags from BG Paper Cottage, as well as a beribboned journalling pocket containing six things that make my friends special.  A few little extra embellishments and I was done.


One of my personal challenges is to use up some old stash on every layout and coming to the fore today were the metal flowers which I have had forever and finally decided were perfect for this layout (even if we were challenged to use gold!).

So in summary:

Colour scheme # 41, and an attempt to capture some of the dreaminess of the scene, Evidence in the form of  ruffles, flags, layers and texture, and  Testimony in a ribboned pocket containing six things.  I'm still not convinced about pastels for real life, but for scrapping, I might try it again sometime.  Tfl :)

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Beautiful layout Ali - see you can do pastel and really well at that!

Jo said...

It really is a beautiful layout x

Bee Crafty said...

That is a stunning layout
Bev x

fatmonica said...

It's a lovely layout.

Claire said...

Gorgeous layout, beautiful colours.
C xx