Sunday, March 08, 2009

I get to be a Volunteer

I'm going to Romania with my Dad to build a house with Habitat for Humanity. We work with a family to help them build somewhere decent to live. I've been saving up for this trip for ages and now I've been accepted to go in June.

It's a real bonus that Dad's going as we've not really done anything together, just us, for years, so doing something I really want to do alongside him is fantastic for me.

Apart from the obvious worries about leaving the family, working in the heat etc. is the more immediate pressure of having to raise funds for materials. In this credit crunched world I'm asking all my friends for money. I shouldn't feel bad about it as it's not for me, I've paid for my trip, but it's raising my nose above the parapet and that's hard.

So far I have £5 from my Mum in law - hopefully there is more to come!!

No comments: