Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sorting Stash

I'm having a blitz - I really want to make the most of the lovely things I have invested in, but working out the best way to use them (and find them) is a big challenge to me!




I don't have a scrap room, but DH kindly puts up with me having one end of the bedroom with a big table and a set of IKEA shelves.  The aim is to condense all my stash onto these shelves so that it is in one place.

One bonus is that we have recently had some shelves built downstairs where I can keep my albums - which gives me more space, plus I get to enjoy my scrapping more easily.   I love it so much!

I have all my clear stamps in a file; my totes have basics on one and tools in the other; I have two cropper hopper 'magazine' racks which have paper in - one has Bazzill the other is a bit random and I can't quite work out how to use it. Patterned paper is in a large IKEA box which fits into one of the cubes by range in 12x12 bags with odd sheets in a carry file - perfect for sorting out a Counterfeit Kit.

My next task is to sort through my rather large scraps collection.  I do love them and I do use them, but sometimes they seem to take over.  I have allocated a carry file which I will put them in by colour and see if that works better than the RU box I had them in before.

Embellishments are sorted in three ways:

  1. My trusty Craft Mates tote has 7 divided boxes with buttons, brads and small embellishments divided up by colour.
  2. On my desk is a static Really Useful set of mini boxes that has more colour coordinated bits and bobs that don't fit into the tote.  I find that sorting by colour suits me better than theme or manufacturer.
  3. Finally, I have a larger Really Useful box with bulky embellishments (such as washi tapes) or fairly full and new packets which stay together until most are gone, then they get reallocated into the two places above.


Chipboard has been divided up into patterned - in three pockets by colour, and plain - in a box ready to paint.  Journalling cards are in a box, ideally I will sort these in some better way - ideas welcome!!
Paints are in the 'Paris' box as seen above, together with distress stains, gesso and 3d pearl pens - I don't have a big collection.  Embossing powders are in a box, embroidery silks in another and inkpads in an open IKEA container.  I'm wondering whether to get a box for my mini inkpads so I can access them more easily.

I still have lots of bits and bobs that are not really categorised at all and need to be - but its a work in progress which may take a long time.  No-one could call my shelves coordinated or matching, but I have developed a system that is working so far. At least I'm going in the right direction - I think!?

1 comment:

Jo said...

I love it when I have the time to do a sort out, it's amazing the things I find! x