Sunday, October 28, 2012

UKS Cybercrop - Part 1

How lovely when you have no mojo to have a Cybercrop to help!  Even better a slow paced one, rather than the manic kind - so I have had a lovely time playing today with a couple of classes.  I'm never going to get it all done, but I am actually scrapping so it's all good.


First up I tried a class by Suzisnail - The Patchwork Papers  - which was a piecing of triangular scraps to make a patchwork pattern.  Being a fully paid up member of the awkward squad, I can't quite bring myself to do the class in the way I'm told, so I adapted it by using a 1" punch and an offset placing.




I thoroughly enjoyed doing this class - playing with little scraps - thanks Leanne :) - and inking the edges - and getting very messy. I chickened out of sewing with the machine - compromising by handstitching a line across the top line of patches.  I kept up my 'use up old stash' challenge with the letters, the paperclip embellishment and some of the chipboard from Crate Paper which I have had for ages.  Definitely fun, and I am resolved to practice with my sewing machine so that a challenge like this isn't so daunting!

The second class was by Sutty - 'Mapping it out'.   I always like her scrapping so it wasn't hard to choose to do it.  Sadly I didn't have anything on the materials list, so I had to improvise.  This proved to be a lot of fun, so I started by choosing a photo and went from there.  



I can't remember the last time I used bright coloured Bazzill as a background, or primary colours on a layout.  I had a great time distressing, dragged out some embellishments that were lying around - Little Yellow Bicycle chipboard and K& Co journalling spots from forever ago, and more recently fabric tabs from Ormolu.

I started with my Cameo - cutting out the title and the chevrons, then got busy with gesso.  I had to iron the paper as I went a bit overboard and it got very wet, but no harm done in the end.  I enjoyed the distressing with scissors as I've mislaid my distressing tool.  I used some stamps, inked the Tando Creative stars and used some punched tiny stars to cover up the fact that I'm rubbish at splattering paint LOL.  Happy with this though, and the hidden journalling which talks about the day this was taken, I'm really trying to take journalling more seriously as without it, photos become a lot more meaningless to other people.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

A couple of great layouts Ali well done on getting involved in the Cybercrop. I have such good intentions but running out of playtime right now.

Jo said...

Both of your layouts are gorgeous and I'm pleased you're enjoying yourself with the cyborcrop x